Sunday, February 17, 2008

Career advice C or Java

For the past three years, I have been a hard core C programmer, working on a variety of open source technologies like qmail, netfilter... Six months back I got an offer from a highly respected company. Good company, nice pay, I couldn't resist the offer. Now only problem, everything is Java.. at least in my locale. I am probably the only person trying find my through Java code using vim, ctags and cscope. I cant bring myself to open a eclipse. So I don't know how it works. Anyways, now I am ready to re look at my decision. Should I let my interest in system programming, C, linux kernel pass and start taking up work in Java.. or should I stick to my interests.

If I take up Java.. I am scared I will loose touch with system side.. like how do I filter packets of a particular kind.. How many connections are going to server...


If I don't take up Java.. I might earn the wrath of management. Probably cost me the job, I am now used to the comforts provided here..


I badly want to learn assembly language programming... Work on those for my bread.. Am I living in a well... Do people have such cool jobs.. Am I asking for an non feasible job position. People around me are into Java.. Is this a problem specific to India.. Do these jobs don't get outsourced to India..



This is probably one helluva situation.. and I am not sure which way to go..

1 comment:

Peerless said...

Welll..What did you decide at last.? Its not bad to learn a bit of java and work with your kernels at home..

http://peerlessdeepak.wordpress.com/